The Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services contracts with the Cumberland Valley Area Development District to provide Participant Directed Cordination services for the Participant Directed Services in our service area.


External link opens in new tab or windowClick here for more information on Home and Community Based Waiver Program (PDF to open in new window)

External link opens in new tab or windowHome and Community Based PDS Employee and Representative Requirements (PDF to open in new window)

External link opens in new tab or windowPDS Request Form for Immediate Family Member, Guardian, or Legally Responsible Individual as Paid Service Provider

External link opens in new tab or windowFamily Member Exemption Form


What is PDS?    

PDS is an option that is being offered for Kentucky Medicaid Waiver members who are currently receiving or become eligible to receive Home and Community Based waiver (HCB) services through Kentucky's Medicaid Waiver program.  PDS allow waiver members to choose who provides their non-medical waiver services which allows them greater freedom of choice, flexibility, and control over their supports and services.  Members can choose to direct all or some of their non-medical waiver services.


Who and How can I enroll in PDS?           

PDS became available for members receiving non-medical services through the HCB Waiver on September 30, 2006. If you currently get services through the HCB waiver, you can contact your current Medicaid waiver case manager and let them know you want to enroll in PDS.  Your case manager will contact the Service Advisor.  The Service Advisor will contact you to arrange a time to meet with you.  They will help you enroll in PDS.


NOTE: PDS will be available for the Supports for Community Living (SCL) Waiver on November 30, 2006, and for the Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) Waiver on January 30, 2007.


What is a Service Advisor?            

The Cumberland Valley Area Development District is designated as the local Area Agency on Aging for Bell, Clay, Harlan, Jackson, Knox, Laurel, Rockcastle, and Whitley counties and will act as Service Advisors for the PDS program.  Once you choose PDS, you will no longer have a case manager through the traditional agency.  The Service Advisor will act as your case manager.  The Service Advisor will assist you with:


  • enrolling in PDS

  • developing your Person Centered Plan

  • coordinating with traditional providers

  • transitioning back to traditional services if you choose to dis-enroll from PDS


Employment/Budget Information             

Will I be given a budget? Yes. You will be given a budget amount based on past service utilization.  The budget amount will be determined by Department for Medicaid Services (DMS).  The budget will be used by the member to negotiate rates with employees and complete the support spending plan.

Who can I hire as my employee? You may hire family, friends, neighbors and provider agencies.  The employee must be at least 18 years old and comply with employee requirements as outlined in 907 KAR 7:010. 

How will my employees be paid? The Area Development Districts (ADD's) will be the Financial Management Agency for PDS in Kentucky.  The participant will keep track of all the services done by their employee(s).  A timesheet will be submitted to the Service Advisor showing what services were performed.  The Financial Management Agency will pay the participant's employee(s) for providing these PDS services.  The Financial management Agency will make sure all state and federal laws are met such as withholding enough money to pay for taxes and other items.

What training is required? Participants, representatives, and employees must complete training on person centered planning and self-determination.  Training will be available on abuse/neglect/exploitation prevention, recognition and reporting. The participant can also require additional training related to their specific needs.


What are my responsibilities if I choose PDS?      

The member has a responsibility to:

  • work with the Service Advisor to develop a Person Centered Plan and an emergency back-up plan

  • hire, train, schedule and fire PDS employees

  • follow the Person Centered Plan and keep within their allocated funds

  • choose a representative if needed or desired

  • submit paperwork on time


What if I decided I don't want to be in PDS anymore?       

The Service Advisor will work with the member to transition back to traditional services.


For more information, please contact Aging Disability Resource Center (ADRC) at (606) 877-5763 or 1-844-213-9676.

Updated 1/1/2022